Defense Logistics Agency Packer in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
America's Combat Logistics Support Agency: The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) is a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) agency. DLA provides worldwide logistics support for the missions of the Military Departments and the Unified Combatant Commands under conditions of peace and war. It also provides logistics support to other DoD Components and certain Federal agencies, foreign governments, international organizations, and others as authority
By joining Defense Logistics Agency Distribution, you will be a part of the team that is the leading provider of global distribution support to America's military. Whether you work at the DLA Distribution Headquarters in New Cumberland, Pa. or at one of our 24 distribution centers around the globe, your work will ensure that DLA Distribution offers the right solution, on time, every time through a broad range of services to include storage, distribution, customized kits, specialized packaging and world-wide transportation support. DLA Distribution makes a difference every day by providing effective, efficient and best value support to our customers which include the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force as well as other government agencies.
Learn more about this agency
- Performs all aspects of standard packing and/or preservation work using numerous procedures, methods, and techniques of the trade.
- Packs/repack hazardous and/ or non hazardous items for shipment and performs standard preservation tasks using a variety of techniques to protect material and equipment from corrosion, deterioration, and damage.
- Uses a variety of packing procedures and techniques for container selection, item placement, wrapping, cushioning, sealing, and marking/labeling.
- Ensures all labeling, markings, and addressing requirements are met prior to releasing material for final loading/shipment
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Tour of Duty: Set Schedule
- Security Requirements: Non Sensitive
- Drug Testing Designated Position: Yes
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Nonexempt
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Financial Disclosure: Not Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is not telework eligible
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Pre-Employment Physical: Required
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an MHE license. Must be able to obtain and maintain a state driver's license.
- This position is located at DM-XI and this announcement may be used to fill future vacancies for various shifts located at DLA Distribution Susquehanna in New Cumberland, PA or Mechanicsburg, PA
To qualify for a Packer, your resume and supporting documentation must support:
Applicants will be rated in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standard for Trades and Labor Occupations. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties at the level for which you are applying. Emphasis is placed on how you gained the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time, and that you have the required ability or potential to perform the job. Applicants who do not meet the screen-out element (SOE) will be eliminated from further competition.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Effort: Work is generally performed on hard surfaces and in areas that require standing for long periods of time and requires stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. The incumbent frequently lifts and carries parts, equipment, and packed containers that weigh up to 40 pounds. Assistance is requested if it is necessary to lift and carry an item exceeding 40 pounds or bulky items of unusual size/shape. Weight handling equipment may also be used such as pallet jacks,vacuum lifts, hand trucks, etc.
Working Conditions: Work is generally performed in designated work areas within a warehouse that are adequately lighted and ventilated and/or outside in covered/uncovered areas that may be drafty and poorly lighted. Some work areas may be dusty, dirty, and greasy and there may be exposure to fumes, irritants, etc.
For Important General Applicant Information and Definitions go to:http://www.dla.mil/portals/104/documents/careers/GenAppInfoDef.pdf
Reemployed Annuitants: This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
INFORMATION FOR VETERANS is available at: http://www.dla.mil/Careers/Programs/veterans.aspx. As of 23 December 2016, Military retirees seeking to enter federal service in the Department of Defense now require a waiver if they would be appointed within 180 days following their official date of retirement.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has established a Drug-Free Federal Workplace Policy. All applicants tentatively selected for DLA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with DLA for a period of six months. This policy extends to random testing for the use of illegal drugs by employees who occupy testing designated positions defined as sensitive in Section 7(d) of Executive Order 12564. The Defense Logistics Agency's Drug Free Workplace Plan's drug testing panel includes testing for the following illegal substances: marijuana, cocaine, opiates (codeine/morphine), 6-Acetylmorphine (heroin), phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamine/methamphetamine), methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The assessments for this job will measure the following Job Elements/Competencies:
Ability to do the work of a Packer without more than normal supervision (SOE) Knowledge of Packing Practices Work Practices Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications. etc.(other than blueprints) Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment Knowledge of Materials Dexterity and Safety
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation may be completed and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the job elements/competencies required for this position. If your resume and/or supporting documentation is reviewed and a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position you must provide a complete Application Package. Each Application Package MUST include:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
- Applicable documents to support the eligibility(s) for which you are applying. Please review the following link for a listing of the additional documents you will need to provide: Supporting Documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To preview the questionnaire, please go to https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10180463.
Agency contact information
DLA Distribution Susquehanna 2001 Mission Drive Suite 1 New Cumberland, PA US
Learn more about this agency
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review may be completed of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. Applicants that are found among the most highly qualified may be referred to the hiring official for consideration, and you will receive a notification of referral. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and as part of the selection process, applicants may be required to complete additional supplemental documents. Once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision. If interviews are conducted, DLA uses a technique called Behavior Based Interviewing (BBI). Be sure to check your USA Jobs account for your notification updates.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496815400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/13/2018 to 04/23/2018
Salary: $17.63 to $20.55 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 5
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent - Multiple Appointment Types